The Central Michigan University Counselor Education program is planning a one-day Pastoral Counseling Summit & Training on Saturday, September 19, 2015 here on campus. We have heard on several different occasions that this would be helpful and we want to respond. We will have promotional materials ready in the next few days and mailers going out. It will likely run from 9am-4pm with cost as low as $25.00 per person!
The training will be facilitated by Dr. Terencio Daunte McGlasson and Ms. Connie Baker. Both are licensed professional counselors, both are seminary trained and both have taught on faculty at Christian colleges. Dr. McGlasson is also a former minister.
Content will include:
- Basic counseling skills/techniques training
- Question & answer session where clergy can seek advice for issues they are currently facing or topics they would like to address but need more information on
- Live mock counseling sessions so attendees can actually see scenarios and techniques
- Assessing the need for professional referrals and who to send parishioners to
- Clergy self-care – avoiding burnout
- The impact of mental illness on congregations
- Safeguards and common sense policies/protocols
- *We are also considering an afternoon session with Christian counselors and faith-based professionals – unique concerns they might have, issues they are facing, opportunity to network, etc.
Dr. Terry D. McGlasson
Terencio Daunte McGlasson, PhD, LPC, NCC, ACS
Associate Professor & Unit Coordinator – Counselor Education Program
Clinical Director – Center for Community Counseling & Development
Central Michigan University
368 Education & Human Services Bldg.